Around these parts, school is back in session. So we’re sharing a healthy and delicious afterschool snack recipe that you can bake with your kids. It’s great fuel to keep kids going through afterschool activities and homework. Plus baking is a wonderful way to incorporate STEM into your child’s everyday. And this granola recipe is sure to delight! Eat it on top of yogurt, as cereal or by itself. Mix it all together in 20 minutes or less. The STEM lesson follows the recipe!
2 cups whole oats
1/4 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
1/3 cup dried fruit
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil or olive oil or butter
1/4 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Heat all wet ingredients in a pan on low heat. Stir until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir well.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until the oats are browned.
- Let cool. Store in airtight container.
Ways to incorporate STEM into Baking Granola
- Math: Talk about fractions and how many parts equal 1 cup or 1 teaspoon
- Process: Talk about sorting the ingredients and why you don’t mix everything all at once in one bowl (hint: it would be a clumpy mess and not evenly mixed)
- Science: Talk about how heating the wet ingredients melts the honey, oil and applesauce into a smoother liquid.
Check out Plum Spark's STEM activity boxes for kids!
Creative Learning Subscription Box for Kids